Wednesday, June 22, 2011

How do we Measure Time?

Hey everyone, it's MuffinBoy #1 here with today's answermuffin.  I got started on this topic because I was curious about how ancient civilizations developed their ideas about time and how they first learned to measure it.  I went to the library and checked out an amazing non-fiction book titled The Time Book:  A Brief History from Lunar Calendars to Atomic Clocks, by Martin Jenkins.

Time Book 002

It was brief, as the title suggested, but it was filled with interesting facts.  I learned all about the methods of keeping time used by the Mayans, Egyptians, Europeans,  and other civilizations.  I couldn't stop reading it, it was so good.  It was hard to believe it wasn't just a really fascinating novel.  For me, some of the topics covered were more interesting than others.  All in all, I gave this book:      

4 and a half out of 5

4.5 out of 5 muffins – HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

When I read the book, I learned about the Egyptian hourglass, and it gave me the idea to make my own!  Here's how:

Making an Hourglass

During this project, I learned to appreciate the long process of the Scientific Method. I discovered that the path to success can be paved with many failures,  but you can reach that golden moment of glory by learning from the failures,  rethinking your hypotheses and drawing new conclusions.

Have you ever made an hourglass or some other method of measuring time?

No comments:

Post a Comment