Friday, July 8, 2011

How are Metals Shaped?

Hey everyone, this is MuffinBoy #1 here with today’s awesome muffin!

Something I have always been curious about is how metals can be formed into so many different shapes.  I knew that metals were mined from the earth, but I had no idea how people turned the raw ore into thin wires and metal cups.

To find out the answer, I went to the library and checked out a book called Metals, by Chris Oxlade.

Books 002

It turns out that there are two types of metals:  pure metals and alloys.  Alloys are a combination of two or more metals or a metal and a nonmetal.  I also learned that there are a few different ways that metals can be shaped.  The first way is by hammering.  Metals can be hammered without breaking because they are malleable (moldable).  The next way metal can be shaped is by pulling it until it is long and thin.  This property is called “ductile.”  Lastly, metals can be shaped when they are in extreme heat.  All metals expand slightly in heat and contract back when they are cool.  The more they heat, the more they expand, and the easier it is to change their shape.

This book was very informative and written really well for kids. It explained all about alloys, nonmetals, the process of mining metals, and how metals are shaped.  I highly recommend this book for kids who are curious about metals.  5 out of 5   5 out of 5 muffins!

The book Metals made me even more curious about the different properties of metal, in particular how some metals are magnetic while others are not.  I conducted a small experiment around my house, trying to see which household items were magnetic.  The results were sort of surprising:

I have a feeling there will be more metal-related answermuffins in the future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment